Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Worn Out Parts

We all know that my parts are worn out, but now I've worn out parts of the bike. I have ridden 8,000 miles on the Specialized. The chain, chain ring, and gears show enough wear that they need replacing. I should have been diligent and checked the chain stretch all along the way. I guess I'd rather ride than perform maintenance. I cleaned it, but the shop has called to tell me the parts are here. The ride for Saturday is scheduled, so I guess it will be dirty by the time it gets into the shop.

Those 8,000 miles have been a challenge, therapy, and pure enjoyment! I had stopped riding for a long time. Why did I stop? I guess I was too busy or wasn't living in a bike friendly place. Only once in a while, I would take the bike on vacation to Sanibel Island. There driving a car is heretical. Driving takes much longer than pedaling your way to various destinations. By riding, you aren't held up by traffic or plagued with parking hassles. Riding in Alfred was impossible due to the mountains and snow. I don't think I even took my bike with me then.

That old bike has a lot of miles on it too. I wish I had kept track. I know I logged quite a few since I used it to visit friends and commute to work. Now it just hangs in the garage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home