Thursday, July 01, 2010

Plums...Plums...Plums




I saw the most beautiful plums at the one of the local Middle Eastern shops, I had to buy some! Then I went home and scanned my cookbooks for ways to showcase them. I finally settled on Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My home to Yours. Dorie's was similar to some dessert recipes by Julia Child and Beatrice Ojakangas, but theirs were for individual cakelets. After work baking does not allow for fussing with individual baking containers.

I actually made this cake twice. First I used purple plums from the big chain store and the second from the locally sourced plums. I made the mistake of using a 9" pan on the first cake. My eyeball was miscalibrated and I had thought it was 8". Needless to say, it baked too quickly and was dry. The second cake I used the correct size pan and it was moist. I wasn't crazy about the flavor of these cakes. Maybe sometime I'll try them using all white sugar or make sure I'm really using light brown as the recipe designated. I some how mixed up the various non-white sugars in my pantry and didn't label them, so who knows what sugar I used and how that effected the flavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home